Friday, March 17, 2006

True Love

On Thursday, March 16th, Lawrence and I celebrated four years of marriage. To my shame, I usually put a lot of expectations, some spoken, some unspoken, upon my husband to romance me. And, I usually end up frustrated and in a conflict with him over how he didn't measure up. Mercifully, God has given me a husband who overlooks offense after offense, and who draws near to me even when I'm being near hateful toward him.

Over the course of our marriage, I've turned to a few, close confidants who God has used powerfully in my life, to help bring baby steps of change in my ungodly responses to my husband, among other areas in my life. Upon one of those friend's more recent rebukes, I saw that the ideas I had about love and how it should be demonstrated in a marriage are not really biblical and that my lustful cravings for more romance, and the more "Hollywood-like" displays of affection and love were never going to be satisfied and moreso, keep me from experiencing and appreciating true love as the bible defines.

From that realization and inspired by my husband's countless displays of true biblical love to me comes this poem that I wrote for him this year.

I asked God for someone to love me,
But I didn't know what love really is.
Until my notions of love were shattered,
And I could see a love like His.

A love that's patient, a love that's kind
A love that draws near, and of God's grace, reminds.

A love that does not envy, and neither does boast
A love that to all my successes does toast.

A love that is not proud, a love that is not rude
A love that humbly responds to my bad attitudes.

A love that's not self-seeking no matter the sacrifice
That's more concerned with what I'd prefer than for you what would be nice.

A love not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs
A love that assures me no matter what, it's in your arms I belong.

A love that does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth
A love that points me to the gospel, and from that my heart is soothed.

A love that always protects my honor and my name.
A love that always trust that when I fall, I will rise again.

A love that always hopes I'll choose the best.
A love that perseveres when I've failed every test.

A love that never fails; this is your love for me.
A love as the Bible defines and brings God much glory.

Lawrence, thank you for four faithful years of God glorifying love!

15 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

What a beautiful, well written poem to honor your husband (and God)

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger peg said...

That's so beautiful, Briana!
Happy Anniversary! God is so god to us to give us such godly husbands! I don't deserve mine either! What a constant reminder of the gospel our husbands are to us!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Awwww. you made me ink! That was beautiful. He reminds me so much of my own husband. Romance may be hard to come by, by true love, I've got that in abundance from Paul!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Happy 4th Anniversary, by the way. Did you have an evening without the boys after all?

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! LOVE the poem, it's so sweet. I can't believe you guys have been married two years already!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Nicole Seitler said...

::sniff::

Sweetness!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

Thank you all for your warm blessings. We had a great anniversary! Lawrence and I got to meet for lunch w/ boys in tow the day he left for the men's retreat at an Amish Market in Hunt Valley, near to LA's office. He brought a dozen red roses to lunch w/ him...how sweet!
And, we did leave the boys w/ our in-laws Sat. evening after the men's retreat until Sunday after church. WE ate out for dinner and breakfast the next morning,and sat through the entire service at church uninterrupted to hear an excellent message from Paul Buckley!!
In those ways and more, we celebrated God's faithfulness to us, and our love for each other grew still more.

Zo,
What does "you made me ink" mean?

Danielle,
We've actually been married for 4 years; wasn't sure if that was just a typo. though. :)

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, sorry, I meant (and thought) I typed "four" years, but obviously was zoning out!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Bri, for the answer to what "you made me ink" means, watch "Finding Nemo." A great kids' movie with plenty of laughs for adults. I'm not a big movie buff--especially animated ones--but Nemo and Toy Story I have watched over and over and still laugh (and ink).

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

Zo

Now that you mention the movie, I remember that scene. Funny how you incorporated into your language! :)

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

Bri, left a response about canning on my blog for you.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Briana,
What a beautiful poem. As I was reading your entry.. I felt as if you were writing about my life. I have a gracious, loving, forgiving and faithful husband who has endured my ups and downs, my overjoyed moments and over-the-top moments, and yet he still longs to pour out his love on me. Thank you for you poem and your article.

Happy Anniversary!

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY!
» » »

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for what You are doing!Information, that I managed to find here
is extremely useful and essential for me!With the best regards!
David

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good afternoon.I should say, that Your site is really great. Design, layouts, structure, logos...Everything is so awesome!Thanks a lot once more!Iam deffinetely bookmarking this site!
With the best regards!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home