Friday, March 03, 2006

Anniversary...Help!

When my husband proposed more than four years ago, our engagement fell over Valentine's Day. Oddly enough, our wedding day falls 30 days after Valentine's Day. So, among the few, very few, creative and romantic things I have come up with in my life, I made a little flip, countdown calendar for Lawrence to use until we were married. Each year since we were married, I have put it up and used it to countdown to our wedding anniversary.

It sits above my kitchen sink, and I am the one who flips it and reads the day's quote a million times throughout the day. I am the one who's been reminded at least 6 times today already that there are only 13 days left until our anniversary.

13 days left, and I have no idea how to bless my husband this year in remembering our anniversary. You see, Lawrence is in the midst of I would say the busiest season of work he's had since we've been married. He's out of the house an average of 12 hours a day and is working Saturdays. I am tired to say the least. Even with the daily reminder that our anniversary is right around the corner, I have not taken the mental and emotional energy to come up with any ideas on how to celebrate our anniversary.

And, there's an additional snag. March 16th is our anniversary and also the first day of the men's retreat for the men of Chesapeake. We are both excited that Lawrence is going to be able to go as his boss was rather hesitant to give him the time off. I've thought about arranging for someone to babysit the boys so that I could pick Lawrence up from the retreat and take him overnight somewhere, but he has indirectly communicated that we don't have the means for that right now. Plus, I think there's probably more of my own desire to do something like that which prompted that plan.

So, why am I telling you all of this? Because I need ideas. I know there are some really creative (don't get too creative; I'm highly limited skill/talent wise) women out there who might have some great ideas that I can steal. :)
I really don't think Lawrence has time to read this blog, but by chance that you're reading the blog, honey, please don't check the comments!

So, comment away...

14 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Libby said...

Bri, this is what came to mind...I haven't yet had an anniversary (less than 30 days till our first!). But, what about packing a note with a small gift/item for each day of the retreat. Something larger for him to open the first day, since it's your anniversary. Then a little something that he enjoys for the next two days? Make it clear on the front of the cards that the card and gift aren't to be opened until the appropriate date. Just a thought.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Would your in-laws take the boys overnight so you two could stay at home and play Saturday night after the retreat? Give him time to nap, catch up with the boys, and then go out to a nice dinner, pick up a rom-com to watch, and then come home and Celebrate. Would that bless him? This is coming from someone who doesn't put much creativity into anniversaries because romance isn't a high priority for my man. PS Just give the in-laws your cell phone; no one has to know you're really home.My brothers-in-law and their wives interrupted our wedding night with not one but two midnight phone calls. Yeh, I'm still working on forgiving them.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger FishMama said...

Great ideas, so far. I'm with Zoanna with the "In-Home Date Night." I'd even say, eat at home by candlelight, if cooking a yummy meal won't stress you out. I did this for Valentine's and bought a lot of things preprepped at the grocery store. The thing that I put work into was figuring out how to make chocolate mousse, his fav. dessert. That is what blesses my husband. We can probably give better ideas, knowing whether your hubby likes a night on the town, or just to stay home.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

I think all your ideas are really good, and the sending the kids to someone's house overnight to do an at home date is something I hadn't thought of, but sounds very appealing.

Zo, I think it's like your situation w/ paul; Lawrence is a big romance guy. So, I'm still trying to work that out in whatever I think up to do for him..b/c often it's more for me and my benefit b/c I am a romance girl. :)

He likes food and likes to be fed. (right Libby?) :)
He likes when we just do something together or just be together even if we're doing different things.
He doesn't need a lot of conversation like I do, but doesn't necessarily mind conversation either.
He LOVES technology, books, and cds.

all your ideas are really good, and I'm feeling more inspired by them. Keep them coming.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Josh made the same calendar countdown for me when we were engaged! I don't really have any ideas, but will say Josh and I have both done Lib's suggestion. When we were engaged I wrote a note for Josh for each day of the retreat and wrote "Friday," "Saturday," etc. on the envelopes. Josh did the same for me last year. I loved looking forward to each letter before I did my devotions each day.

I'm big on at home date nights too because it's cheap and sometimes so much more relaxing than going someplace.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

So you're saying he is or is NOT a romance guy? Seems like you're saying he's not.?? If that's the case, all I can say is (and I do this standing in front of the mirror): no expectations. How? I dunno. I haven't gotten there yet.
Sandy Browne had to encourage me for one of our anniversaries to do what would bless Paul. (that was an eye-opener; I had been thinking our anniversary was about me! Helloooo?!!) I said he likes live guitar music, good food, and quiet time to read. So we went to a B&B in Shrewsbury and he got live guitar music, good food and quiet time to read. I got all those plus a fireplace in the room,

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

How about writing him a tribute? I did that for Paul on his 38th birthday and put it in a nice frame. He was really touched.

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So did you decide on something . . . ? You'll have to tell us what your final idea was.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

I wanted to wait until I had made plans and also checked w/ Lawrence about what he might be planning to tell you what I decided to do.
Ironically, he found time to read this post AND managed to skip over the last paragraph, having read all your comments! :)

So, I did tell him about one thing I've planned: to send the boys to his parents Sat. night after the retreat. They're going to keep the boys overnight and even take them to church w/ them the next morning. I'm not sure which I'm looking forward to more:
1. having the house to ourselves Sat. night
2. not having to change diapers, feed and dress 2 little boys in the morning for church OR
3. going to church w/out stroller/diaper bag in tow, being able to stand beside my husband all during worship w/out feeding cheerios to the boys in between verses and sitting through an entire message, holding my husband's hand and not fearing that 101 is going to flash on the screen above. :)

There's another little something I've planned for Lawrence, but I kept that one a secret and I'm not going to write it here lest he checks again. Libby knows, though, so feel free to ask her. :)

Thanks for all your ideas.

Zo, I think a tribute is great, but will have to be done another year when some brain cells have been restored! :)

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Zoanna said...

We had been married 12 years when I wrote the tribute. The youngest, Stephen, was 9. So, yeh, brain cells had returned by then. They come and go. The year Stephen turned 10, Ben turned 13--brain cells vanished again!

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Generic valtrex by pill Challenge xtreme pressure washer

 
At 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home