Thursday, November 17, 2005

Bring on the Soup

I LOVE a nice hot and hearty soup for dinner, especially as the weather begins to get that winter chill and I can see my breath in the air. Soups are relatively easy to make and definitely easy to eat. For me, they're a one pot meal, served with a side of crusty bread. It is a small comfort for those, like me, who just do not like the cold of winter. So, for the next several days, I will be posting some of my favorite soup recipes. NONE of them are Briana originals; they've all been given to me by other sources. I hope you'll try a few of my favorites. I'm sure that at least one of the soups will become a family favorite in your home!!

The first two soups I'm posting come from my mom. They may not be the healthiest, but they are really yummy! Everything my mom makes is yummy.


Zuchinni Garden Chowder: Yields: about 2 1/2 quarts

2 medium zuchinni, chopped (In the winter, you can buy it frozen)
2 T. minced fresh parsley (1 T. dried parsley if you don't have fresh)
1 tsp. dried basil
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 (14oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (12oz.) can evaporated milk
1 package (10oz.) frozen corn
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cup shredded cheddar cheese**
Pinch of sugar (optional)

**In my futile attempts to eat more healthily, I cut this out altogether, and the soup is still wonderful. Really, you got to trust me on this one.

In a dutch oven or soup kettle, over med. heat, saute the zuchinni, parsley, basil in butter until veggies are tender. Stir in flour, salt, pepper. Gradually stir in water. Add bouillon and lemon juice; mix well. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, milk, corn; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn is tender. Just before serving, stir in cheese(s) until melted. Add sugar and garnish with parsley if desired.


Creamy Tomato Soup: Yields: about 8 servings

1 med. onion, chopped*
2 T. butter*
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans (10.75 oz) condensed tomato soup
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. sugar
1/2-1 tsp. dried basil
1/2-1 tsp. paprika
1/8-1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 package (8oz) cream cheese, cubed and softened

In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes, soup, milk, sugar, basil, paprika, and garlic powder. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until melted.

*We do not like onions (actually it's my husband's onion breath I don't like), so I always omit them and the butter. Also, it helps if you softened the cream cheese in the microwave a bit before you put it into the soup. Even still, you have to work out the lumps of cream cheese sometimes. But, it's well worth the effort. I've also made it without the cream cheese for a healthier version, and that's good, too!

3 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Nicole Seitler said...

Mmm! I'll have to try your Tomato soup. Travis was just asking me if I knew how to make one like that, and besides opening a can or trying to make it from scratch, I didn't know what to do! ;)

ps. Food Lion is having a huge sale on ham this week. I bought one for half off and I can't wait to make lots of yummy winter soups with it! :D

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

I loooooove soup and bread. I will be sure to try these at some point this winter. Maybe LA can have a talk with my husband...he thinks soup and bread is only a snack at best. :)

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

Lawrence has had to adjust to my way of cooking and what I serve for dinner. Don't know if it's a Latino thing or a male thing, but he thinks a meal needs to have several dishes...like 5 minimally. I, on the other hand, think if the 1 dish I made has all the food groups in it, we're covered. I grew up in a casserole family. He grew up in a "5 things to choose from for dinner" family. Occasionally, I'll try to make several dishes for dinner, but that happens less and less these days w/ the boys! If there's dinner at all, we're doing well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home