Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Two Quotes for Your Consideration

After having battled alongside me last night into the wee hours of the morning with a number of my sinful responses, my husband wisely and lovingly directed me to read the following quotes this morning to help me guard against condemnation and self effort today. I'm going to type them up and post them on my kitchen cabinets so that I can reminded throughout the day of the truth in those moments when my heart seeks to condemn me. Perhaps, these quotes will make it to your cabinet doors as well:

The Lord hears us crying, "I am so weak, evil, stupid, and incapable that I cannot overcome this sin." We are lovingly corrected: "'Be strong in the Lord and His mighty power.' The One who has loved you gives you a nature that makes you capable. You must have faith in the power of His might. Your Adversary, who says that you cannot resist, lies and seeks your harm. Do not believe him."

"I am protected by the truth that though I feel weak, I am strong; though I may fall, I possess Christ's righteousness. And, though I am not perfect, I have peace with my God who has provided the faith I could not conjure (for faith, too, is a gift of God), the salvation I could not earn, and the Spirit I daily need."

Quotes taken from Holiness by Grace by Bryan Chapell, pp.143 & 148

3 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

I love that line: "The One who has loved you gives you a nature that makes you capable." Thank you Lord.

I just read something this morning that reminded me that my self-effort is nothing but for Christ in me: "That is why the Christian is in a different position from other people who are trying to be good. They hope, by being good, to please God if there is one; or-if they think there is not-at least they hope to deserve approval from good men. But the Christian thinks any good he does comes from the Christ-life inside him. He does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." -C.S. Lewis, "Mere Christianity."

Thank you Lord that any good or capableness comes from your nature, your Christ-life, inside us.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Libby said...

Bri, would you mind posting the authors of those two quotes? thanks!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

Perhaps I should have written it bigger; the author and book is posted at the bottom of the blog entry. It's from Holiness by Grace by Bryan Chapell. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home