Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Our Sufficiency in ALL Things

I am a 28 year old toddler who retorts all day either in word or deed, "me do it, me do it." And, I end up just like a toddler with food all over the floor and/or my face, skinned knees and bruises all over my head (sometimes literally). But, I am growing. God is humbling me, primarily through my circumstances, and He is graciously teaching me through His Word and some excellent preaching by my Senior Pastor, Jim Cannon, how to walk in the Spirit in an ongoing manner.
My wonderful husband, who cares for my soul and shepherds my heart so effectively recently asked me to read a page from Beside Still Waters by Charles Spurgeon. I have read it several times for the last few days, meditating on its truths and provoked by its call to dependence on a faithful, gracious God. I'm posting a few paragraphs here for your encouragement. If you have the book, it is found on page 252.

Right now and at all moments that will occur between now and glory, God's grace will be sufficient. This sufficiency is declared without any limiting words. Thus the Lord Jesus is sufficient to uphold, sufficient to strengthen, sufficient to comfort, sufficient to make trouble useful, sufficient to enable you to triumph, sufficient to bring you out of ten thousand trials, and sufficient to bring you home to heaven.

Whatever is good, Christ's grace is sufficient to bestow. Whatever would harm, His grace is sufficient to avert. Whatever you need, His grace is sufficient to give, if it is for your good. Whatever you would avoid, His grace can shield, if His wisdom dictates.

I am glad that they cannot put all sufficiency into words. If so, it would be finite. Since we can never express it, glory be to God, for it is inexhaustible. Our demands can never be too great.

2 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

I threw a toddler temper tantrum today. His sufficiency provided the grace of confession and the mercy of forgiveness.

Thank you for the encouraging words my friend.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Grace to cover even the TONES we use with so-called self-control, too, I've learned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home