Monday, June 13, 2005

Baby Nightmares

A few nights ago my husband and I were sitting in our basement watching the O's when we heard a strange squeal coming from our baby monitor. It was one of the boys yelling out in their sleep.
Lawrence said, "I hate that sound. It sounds like they're having a nightmare or something."
I chuckled and replied, "How could they be having nightmares? They haven 't been exposed to anything that could scare them. They don't watch TV; we rarely take them to the mall or any other place for that matter that would have images of scary things."
My more thoughtful husband rebutted with, "They do have experiences that could create a context in their minds for scary things, such as being stuck in their crib in a dark room when mommy has just shut the door, never to return."

I caught on to his train of thought and began to imagine what might constitute a "baby nightmare": a bottle of milk hung inches in front of one's mouth with no way of reaching it, a diaper rash that mommy keeps wiping with wet wipes over and over and over again, being left in a play pen with no toys for an entire half hour or being given a bath every day, twice a day (this actually happened to my nephew b/c he had such bad excema, poor thing).

These imagined baby nightmares seemed rather comical to me given the true harsh realities of life. From my perspective, there are a lot more scary things in life than not being able to reach a bottle dangling inches from my face. Living life longer than my 10 month old twins, I know there are bigger things to worry about than being left in a play pen without any toys. There are the nightmares of being a pimple face in Jr. High, having a bad hair day or a bad hair life for that matter, locking one's keys out of the car or going to Starbucks for a mocha frap. only to be told they are out of chocolate syrup! More seriously, there are the nightmares of cancer, the loss of loved ones by death, theft, murder and abuse of power.

But, what threats do my "nightmares" pose to God? Do the many things that concern me seem comical to the Lord? In my laughter about these potential nightmares my boys may be having was also some serious compassion, a desire to wake them up and reassure them that everything is alright. I'm taking care of them; they have nothing to worry about. They will never have a bottle dangling infront of them, out of reach or be kept in a play pen without any toys. They're definitely not getting bathed twice a day. (They're lucky if they get bathed twice a week!)

While God in His wisdom and power would be justified to find the things I worry about comical, I think more often He takes a compassionate posture toward me. At least that is what Scripture leads me to believe. Littered throughout His Word are reassurances that He is taking care of me, He loves me and will never leave me. I have nothing to worry about.

Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Heb. 13:5

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jer.29:11

Be stong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Jos.1:9

You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Ps. 139:5

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Our God is a God who saves; from the Sovereign Lord comes escape from death. Ps. 68:19,20

Thank you, Lord that both the nightmares we experience and the ones we just fear experiencing cannot eclipse Your Sovereign plan and purpose for us, nor keep us from your love, provision and protection. Truly, there is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours. Ps. 86:8

3 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Blogger Zoanna said...

I appreciated this blog a lot. I am convinced that God takes a compassionate stance toward the things that trouble us. I'm glad you took the time to write out your thooughts. And that bath thing? Last night was more of a nightmare for me, trying to convince Joel that Spiderman doesn't wear gloves in the tub. (Joel's been wearing red and black knit glves around the house, doing that 3-fingered thing at opponents.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

I echo Zoanna's remarks, I appreciate your everyday stories and how you link them to spiritual lessons. Thank you for this post! I've been meditating/studying Ps. 139 all week and what a comfort and encouragement it is!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Karen Hevesy said...

Reading this reminded me of the 2 Sunday's in a row it snowed this year. With Jim's job you can imagine the logistical nightmare this causes. After the second Sunday I finally said to Jim, you know God knew it was going to snow 2 Sunday's in a row, whatever the reason, He's not surprised, He won't leave you hanging. I find great comfort in the thought that God will never leave me hanging.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home