Monday, June 20, 2005

On Napping

I love tea, particularly hot, herbal teas. One of my favorites is Celestial Seasonings' Sleepytime and Sleepytime Extra. On the backs and bottoms of Celestial Seasonings' boxes are quotes which I am faithful to read. Here's one I read recently that is especially resonating with me given the season of life I'm in right now.

When we were young, the 'tall' ones told us when to slow down. When the demands of the world became too great, their powers of reasoning proved maddeningly accurate. 'I think someone's tired, ' they observed. And off for a nap we went. Ten minutes later, our dreaming faces had put us back in good favor with our exasperated parents. When we woke the world somehow made sense again. What kind of truth might a napping child impart to us? Now we are the tall ones, living in a complicated world with no one to tell us when to slow down. The slumbering little one knows the value of not having the last owrd, of accepting a minor defeat. It's so simple. Miss out on something. Put yourself back in your own good favor. The world will wait. David Jacoby

With that written, I am off to put my little ones down for a nap, followed by some quiet time in the Word and then in my bed. Hopefully, those two won't be one in the same. :)

4 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

What a great quote! How I used to enjoy naptime! Especially right after my mom read the next installment from a "Little House" book. I remember being 6 or 7 and off I'd go to dream about being Laura. Not so now! Now I'm off to proof the Walters Journal, no sleepy time for me :(

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Hey, you wanted some encouragement for reading? Check out the quote from John Piper on Carolyn Mahaney's site: http://www.girltalk.blogs.com/

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

It's funny. The quote on this post of yours was the first thing I've
ever read that made me identify with "tall" people. Thanks!

I am one who never needs prompting to take a nap. When I do, I still get back in the good graces of loved ones! Vive la nap!

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

use sepllcheck please

 

Post a Comment

<< Home