Thursday, June 30, 2005

Scattered Thunderstorms

For the last three days, the weather channel has forecasted scattered thunderstorms for our area. That normally would not be a big deal except that I had planned a "surprise" for my husband who was out of town for three days which required me to do some work outside. The scattered thunderstorms presented quite a challenge, but I managed to overcome it, and was amazingly able to bless my husband (with the help of MANY friends) upon his arrival home. (I'll tell you about the surprise in another blog entry).

All was 'right' last night. My husband came home, was delighted by the surprise I planned for him; the boys slept a long night, giving Lawrence and me a little extra sleep that we desperately needed. But, we got out of bed, and were greeted by our own custom made 'scattered thunderstorms'. Here's what it looked like:

Lawrence needed some underwear; the only ones clean smelled like fuel due to our gas dryer emitting some foul oder into one of my recent loads of laundry. (still don't know what that's all about) We found an unidentifiable bug in our bedroom. You would think this girl from the country would 1. know her bugs and 2. not be frieked out by them, but neither is true. My husband read through the mail that came yesterday, two letters of which were collection notices for hospital bills that we've been told again and again by both our insurance company and the hospital that we are not responsible to pay...a quandry for sure. These notices come just when we are planning to re-finance our home. I had a difficult conversation with my husband over the phone while he drove to work that drew out my heart's inclination to fear and be selfish all at the same time. And, my sons have a violent diaper rash that I have been unable to treat with every recommendation and prescription our doctor has suggested. All this before 10 am.

I know there are too many of you who can relate to the morning I just described. The temptation for me in these moments is to be shaken, to melt into a puddle of tears and fear the worst, to feel overwhelmed by all my responsibility and fall, rather jump, into a pit of self pity. All these responses are first, not godly, nor are they productive.

God, in His mercy, is reminding me more and more quickly in these moments that I have a choice. I can throw up my hands and decide to give up and give in to temptation or I can persevere by praying and seeking perspective from His Word. By His grace I chose the latter this morning. I picked up a magazine my husband receives and read an article by Nancy Wilson. It was on having a Sabboth meal, something altogether unrelated to the circumstances of my morning, but in it was this quote which encouraged my heart immensely and set my gaze in the right direction once again.

The point is to celebrate before the Lord around the table, knowing that He is preparing a table for all of us where He will be seated at the head.

That simple phrase provided a wonderful reminder that this world and all its trouble--it's not my home. I'm here for a short time. I may endure many trials, big and small, but it doesn't matter because I'm not staying here. I'm moving on to Heaven, where there are no unidentifiable bugs, smelly underwear, violent diaper rashes or medical bills, and where there will be no scattered thunderstorms, because the SON shines brightly all day and night there.

12 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

Briana, your blogs are like mini-devotions in the middle of my day, I love them! Thanks for sharing your everyday lessons.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Dittoes on what they said.

As for the diaper rash, have you tried this (I ask, cringing that you have and that my advice is like another drip from a leaky faucet): banana peel. Yes, you read that right: put the banana peels (flesh side on the child's skin)to affected areas. Then put the diaper on. I'm not sure what God puts in bananas besides potassium, but those peels have cleared up more than one of Joel's hiney owies.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

zo,
i've never heard of that remedy. I'm ready to try anything. My ped. just prescribed something she affectionately refers to as 'happy hiney". It must be some concoction she's invented herself b/c i can only get it at the fallston Rx. When you say the flesh of the banana, do you mean the outside of it or the inside of the peel? I'll try it...do you put anything else on w/ it.
I've been doing this crazy procedure w/ tucker of a "domeboro" treatment..it's a solution you mix and make a compress with. Put it in his diaper for 15 min. and then I have to blow dry his little bottom (and cover his peepee b/c he pees all over the place when he hears the blow dryer). Then, I stick Lotrimin (or Nystatin), Hydrocortizone and Desitin on him, cover him up and pray he doesn't poop in the next 15 min. I'm to do this up to 3 times daily. And, now it's Judah, too! :) Oh, the life of being mother to twin boys...wouldn't want it any other way!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Bri,
Put the inside of the peel against the hiney. Use as much peel as it takes to cover the affected area.
Nothing else, no cream, no powder, no medicine. I was skeptical when my sister told me about it, but desperation cures skepticism. I was amazed at how fast it worked. Maybe 2 treatments? I felt really wierd doing it, like a hippie in a New Age commune, not to mention the belly laughs I got from my older kids who dubbed Joel "Banana Butt." But when he was happy again, so were we! Blessing to you and let me know if it works.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

I would think the heat the blow dryer would irritate the rash. Do you psuh the cool button or does the heat not bother them?

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Abby Cannon said...

I'll have to try running the blow dryer when I'm sitting there waiting for Jack to try to go peepee on the potty. I've tried running the water to help him relax. Nope. Doesn't do a thing. He just looks at me and says, "all done!"

anyways, thanks for the reminder of "longing for heaven". I have been convicted lately of not thinking of heaven and seeing my Savior face to face. I appreciate your honesty. :)

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

Okay, maybe it's wrong to confess this, but I got almost as good a laugh out of your description of Tucker undergoing his treatment as I did out of Karen's latest post. I'm just imagining the first time you discovered the pee/ dryer combo.

I'm sorry to find humor at your expense. I remember Izzy getting terrible rashes when he was teething. I used to have to go in at night and change him if he pooped (I can't believe I just typed that) because his skin would just bleed in the morning. I also did the hair dryer thing. It made me so upset, so please know that while I find the image amusing, I can definitely relate. It's not yeast is it?

Thank you for sharing God's grace in your life. It is amazing when He provides something so unexpected (an article on sabbaths?)to minister to our souls. We are richer for your sharing.

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

The skinny on my boys' rashes: My ped. says it looks like yeast. As involved as the Domeboro solutions are, it seems to be the thing that really helps. I'm also using Nystatin cream and something my ped. calls, "Happy Hiney" :) Tucker's little bottom is looking much better. Judah is still an absolute mess...worse than Tucker's ever got. I've discovered I can use the fan in their room to dry their little bottoms and that doesn't make them pee! :) I love my little men and wouldn't go to such lengths for nearly anyone else. Thanks for all the input! Diaper rashes are a bear.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Did you ever try the banana peels?
Bears like bananas.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Libby said...

I want to hear what the surprise was for Lawrence!!!! =)

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day Briana Almengor. Can I get any information about hospital debt on Scattered Thunderstorms? Hopefully before the day is gone I can get somemore details about http://www.livechathelp.com. My friend told me I should look here but it does not seem to be a perfect match for what I need to know. I'm new to blogging but enjoy it. Take care and wish me luck.

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger shani said...

Whirlpool Washer Won’t Fill With Water

 

Post a Comment

<< Home